Friday 10 March 2017

Learn How to make 3 Ways! DIY DUPES-Geometric Glass Terrariums

Hey, guys! In this post, I will guide you how to make glass terrarium in three different ways.

 How to make  3 Ways! DIY DUPES
So the first two ways are a lot easier, something anyone could actually make. The third way will show you how they will properly make. My dad does a lot of stained glass/leadlight stuff anyway, so I thought I would ask him to help me assemble one correctly. But between the three of them the assembly is all pretty similar, so hopefully, you guys can follow along! If you have any questions about this post, make sure to leave them in the comments section below. So this is another episode in my “DIY Dupes” series, which is where I’ll replicate things the DIY way.

So I was inspired by these terrariums I saw for sale at Urban Outfitters, and so that’s what we are going to be recreating today! Also for this video I’m going to be collaborating with Krystal- she’s going to be showing you how to make these sweet kitty planters- I’ll insert a little clip here. I love her channel, I love what she’s all about, so make sure you go check her out.

 Her links will be in the description box below. So let's get started!
Step
1: Choose your material. So the first two methods will use plastic, which I got from this frame that I got at IKEA, and for the last one, I will be using some recycled glass. Next find a pattern online- just search for a “free prism template” and choose whichever one you like. For the plastic, you are going to score the edges with a craft knife, and then simply bend it back and forth to snap it. Mine also had this strange little film on either side, so I just peeled that off before I went any further. So if you’re using plastic, you can assemble it with a hot glue gun. Use masking tape to attach the sides together temporarily, and then use a hot glue gun to attach the sides together. Next, you are going to cover the edges. So for one method, I’m using straws, and I spray painted these. I am finishing deciding to go with the black ones, but you could also paint them a copper or gold colour. Cut the straws in half, and then glue them over the edges.

Fore 2 method, I’m going over the edges that have been glued, using this 3D paint in a metallic colour. And this helps to give a fake soldered effect. I like how this turned out. So for Method

3: the professional way, I printed out the template. Next, trace the template onto the glass. To cut out the pieces use a glass cutter and a ruler, and then simply snap along the scored edges to break the glass. Once they have been cut out, go along the edges with a copper foil tape, and make sure that is flattened down. Using tape, assemble all the pieces together, and apply flux onto the copper tape.

Next, using a soldering iron and 50/50 solder, go down all of the edges attaching them, This is essentially glueing them together. Make sure you do both the inside and the outside of the terrarium.

 Next go over with a bead solder- this is 60/40 solder, to create a raised surface- and it should look something like this. You can clean it up with some detergent and water to get rid of the greasiness left by the flux. Next, I’m using black Patina to stain the edges.

 This will oxidise the lead (solder) and make it turn black. And that’s it! This is how they all turned out, and I’m so happy with them.


Read more about Geometric Glass Terrariums at http://geometricglassterrarium.com/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment